Thursday, June 20, 2013

Building an idol. Oops, I mean house!



Over the past four months, we have waited, hoped, and prayed for our home as it being built. There have been many ups and downs in this process. For example, today we found out we make too much money for the loan that we had been initially approved for. Bradley was still in the academy and they do pay them a little more when they get out. Now we have to apply for another loan that is less young couple friendly. When we received the news, I was furious. WE make too much money? Is that a joke? This is how the government thanks us? Grrrrrr. I laughed. I cried. I panicked. Yesterday, we found out that builders around the city are struggling to build houses quickly this year due to weather and a shortage of workers and our house will not be ready until mid-August. I cried. I got angry. When Bradley got home from work yesterday, I asked him how his day was. He told me he saw a dead body. Yes. That is weird that we discuss things like that but we are weird after all. I asked what happened. He said a girl texting crossed the center line and hit an older couple who had just celebrated 40 years of marriage and were on their way to breakfast. The impact killed the older woman. Bradley shared a few other details which brought me to tears. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. What am I doing? I have made an idol out of my house. I think about it all of the time. I can't wait to drive by and see it. When I thought I might not have it or not on time, I lost my mind. Then I began to sulk about how bad I am. I'm such a sinner. Blah Blah Blah. But I reflected on something David Platt says in his book, Follow Me. It's dangerous to stay in that place for long. When we make the decision to follow Christ, we die with Christ. We die to ourselves. We are raised to life IN Christ. It's sort of like a house. When we are raised to life, it's like a lot being prepared for a structure. Over time, a structure is built. Piece by piece. Eventually it will become what the architect designed but it's not easy. There are ups and downs and things that don't pass inspection and need to be worked on again. I am thankful for what the Lord can teach us in this life. I am thankful he doesn't leave us an empty lot but builds us into a pretty house that is strong.

 
 
"I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules."
Ezekiel 36:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment